Thursday, May 14, 2009

A colored pencil face -


Taking a course with SuziBlu, Petite Dolls, got me to playing with colored pencils. This is the first face I colored.

Amazing how scary it is to actually color in a drawing. I had tried watercolor pencils - what a disaster! Everything has to be wet at the same time in order to have smooth transitions of color. NOT an easy thing for a novice. And, using student grade watercolor paint doesn't work well either. There really is too much filler for the color to lay down smoothly. Professional grade is a must!

I wouldn't even try acrylic at this point. The paints dry so fast, you are often chasing color after color and soon end up in a mud hole. I know using an extender is supposed to help, but I haven't yet found the correct proportions for mixing it with the paint. Another task to master.

Colored pencil, however, is a great tool for a beginner. It goes on in layers that just sit where you put them. Once a color or two is laid in, you gently burnish it to blend and soften the waxy application. If you are careful and go gently without crushing the paper, you can get a nice natural shading going. I was pleased and surprised with my first attempt. If not for this first face, I might still be cringing at the thought of applying color to anything I draw.

1 comment:

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com said...

oh I bet you think I am stalking you right, well I am not.
I just get around and I am multi connected to people.
fyi, you might try watercolor pencils, they are terrific for doing small-ish faces and journal pages. you draw like a color pencil then take just a damp brush tip to create shadows and blending is lovely,
by the way I love your skirts. your very skilled. Skirts; they are my uniform basically.

Brittany