Friday, August 12, 2005

Silk Painted Poncho - my first!

Making a hand painted silk crepe poncho inspired by the art glass necklace I made last week, was the most fun I've had doing something new to me in a long time!

I bought some Seta Color transparent fabric paints from Dharma Trading Company
http://www.dharmatrading.com/sunpainting/ a couple of years ago, but never had the courage to try anything with it. Thanks to the soft urgings of Susan Sorrell, my muse, http://creativechick.blog-city.com/ I decided to use up the, by now, thickened and almost too old paint. If it didn't work out, I really had nothing to lose but a few hours of time outside in the South Florida sun.
After washing the crepe silk http://www.thaisilks.com/ in the washing machine, in warm water, to shrink it and prepare it to more easily accept the paint, I spread the two yards of wet fabric out on the grass in my front yard. I used three shades of blue and some golden yellow fabric paints. All had to be diluted with water because they were so dried out, thickened to the consistancy of tomato paste.

As soon as I had the fabric weighted down, I started to drip and drizzle and smear the paint with my hands.

After that I threw kosher salt at it. Kosher salt is great because it comes as big, fat chunks of salt which causes the dye or paint molecules to gravitate toward it. This makes a very interesting pattern as the paint dries. I also tossed on some dried leaves, heart shaped rock crystals, and dried palm branches.

The grass was rather long and made the surface of the fabric roll unevenly. The salt collected in patches and the paints migrated according to the hills and valleys of this uneven surface.

It was great!

Never before have I allowed myself such freedom in creating! I have used a lot of silk dyes for the prayer shawls that I have made in the past 12 years, but the fabric always had to be stretched out tightly on large frames. Then steamed for three hours to set the dye and then there was a trip to the dry cleaners to remove the gutta resist. I never liked the water soluble resists as I just couldn't get them completely washed out of the fabric. And, unfortunately, I found that within a couple of years, the colors would begin to fade if I had hung a finished piece, like a marriage canopy, on a wall in my sun drenched south Florida home. It was dissatisfying, to say the least! I guess, I didn't use the fabric paints because I was afraid the results would be less intense and just as much work.

Boy was I wrong! And, boy am I glad.

The paint and fabric was dry within two hours. The sun was shining brightly maybe half the time, making the possibility of a clear sunprint of the solid objects laid on the paint, dim. Plus, the paint, as I have said too many times before, was old. But the results, to my eyes, were spectacular!

It was with much excitement that I picked up that piece of silk and took it to my ironing board to set the paint with the iron high on the "cotton" setting. I ironed both sides of that silk. And, I didn't let the fact that the fabric was now as stiff as a paperback cover bother me. I was going for the gold! That paint was gonna set, come heck or high water!

Immediately after ironing it, I dunked it in a pail of water and rinsed and rinsed. Now this is the part that usually brings tears of frustration to my eyes when working with silk dye. I have found that it is IMPOSSIBLE to rinse steamed and dyed silk and not have at least some back staining on the fields of white. There are always free dye molecules just looking to attach to something!

Ah, but this paint stuff. It's amazing. Sure there were extra layers of paint that did not attach to the fabric. But, you know what? They just floated in small clumps and rinsed right down the drain. Not ONE small particle decided to set up housekeeping on my white silk. Zowey!

Later that evening, I cut out the pattern and sewed it together, doing nice folded seams and all that jazz. It was a pleasure! The hand of the silk was smooth and soft and as silky as if it had never been abused at all. And, the colors did not wash out or get pale in the rinse bucket. The cobalt was as rich as the necklace that started it all.

Next day I wore it to lunch with a friend and followed that up with three hours of errands. Mucho compliments came my way - all spontaneous, of course!

It's good to be happy.

14 comments:

waltererickson8647 said...

='Brand New News Fr0m The Timber Industry!!'=

========Latest Profile==========
Energy & Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY)
Current Price $0.10
================================

Recognize this undiscovered gem which is poised to jump!!

Please read the following Announcement in its Entierty and
Consider the Possibilities�
Watch this One to Trad,e!

Because, EGTY has secured the global rights to market
genetically enhanced fast growing, hard-wood trees!

EGTY trading volume is beginning to surge with landslide Announcement.
The value of this Stoc,k appears poised for growth! This one will not
remain on the ground floor for long.

KEEP READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

===============
"BREAKING NEWS"
===============

-Energy and Asset Technology, Inc. (EGTY) owns a global license to market
the genetically enhanced Global Cedar growth trees, with plans to
REVOLUTIONIZE the forest-timber industry.

These newly enhanced Globa| Cedar trees require only 9-12 years of growth
before they can be harvested for lumber, whereas worldwide growth time for
lumber is 30-50 years.

Other than growing at an astonishing rate, the Global Cedar has a number
of other benefits. Its natural elements make it resistant to termites, and
the lack of oils and sap found in the wood make it resistant to forest fire,
ensuring higher returns on investments.
T
he wood is very lightweight and strong, lighter than Poplar and over twice
as strong as Balsa, which makes it great for construction. It also has
the unique ability to regrow itself from the stump, minimizing the land and
time to replant and develop new root systems.

Based on current resources and agreements, EGTY projects revenues of $140
Million with an approximate profit margin of 40% for each 9-year cycle. With
anticipated growth, EGTY is expected to challenge Deltic Timber Corp. during
its initial 9-year cycle.

Deltic Timber Corp. currently trades at over $38.00 a share with about $153
Million in revenues. As the reputation and demand for the Global Cedar tree
continues to grow around the world EGTY believes additional multi-million
dollar agreements will be forthcoming. The Global Cedar nursery has produced
about 100,000 infant plants and is developing a production growth target of
250,000 infant plants per month.

Energy and Asset Technology is currently in negotiations with land and business
owners in New Zealand, Greece and Malaysia regarding the purchase of their popular
and profitable fast growing infant tree plants. Inquiries from the governments of
Brazil and Ecuador are also being evaluated.

Conclusion:

The examples above show the Awesome, Earning Potential of little
known Companies That Explode onto Investor�s Radar Screens.
This s-t0ck will not be a Secret for long. Then You May Feel the Desire to Act Right
Now! And Please Watch This One Trade!!


GO EGTY!


All statements made are our express opinion only and should be treated as such.
We may own, take position and sell any securities mentioned at any time. Any
statements that express or involve discussions with respect to predictions,
goals, expectations, beliefs, plans, projections, object'ives, assumptions or
future events or perfo'rmance are not
statements of historical fact and may be
"forward,|ooking statements." forward,|ooking statements are based on expectations,
estimates and projections at the time the statements are made that involve a number
of risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results or events to differ
materially from those presently anticipated. This newsletter was paid $3,000 from
third party (IR Marketing). Forward,|ooking statements in this action may be identified
through the use of words such as: "pr0jects", "f0resee", "expects". in compliance with
Se'ction 17. {b), we disclose the holding of EGTY shares prior to the publication of
this report. Be aware of an inherent conflict of interest resulting from such holdings
due to our intent to profit from the liquidation of these shares. Shar,es may be sold
at any time, even after positive statements have been made regarding the above company.
Since we own shares, there is an inherent conflict of interest in our statements and
opinions. Readers of this publication are cautioned not
to place undue reliance on
forward,|ooking statements, which are based on certain assumptions and expectations
involving various risks and uncertainties that could cause results to differ materially
from those set forth in the forward- looking statements. This is not solicitation to
buy or sell st-0cks, this text is or informational purpose only and you should seek
professional advice from registered financial advisor before you do anything related
with buying or selling st0ck-s, penny st'0cks are very high risk and you can lose your
entire inves,tment.

Cindra said...

You've been quiet for awhile. How's everything?

Designer Boy said...

LOVE THE Poncho.....very nice :) Just thought you would love to know that there is a free NEW pattern of amy butler fabric in this months issue of better homes and gardens quilters mag......IT IS GREAT!! Also .....the mag gives a place to purchase this cute lil kit that has everything to make the bag ( www.mygreenvelvet.com ) not to mention the store is wonderful as well :) its great great great

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a gold football charm site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

d nova said...

how come u haven't posted in so long?

u need 2 write mo.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice blog, I am bit new to this blog stuff but I really like it. I will definately be back. I have a
gold transportation charm that the horse lovers community just love. I should set a blog up on it that has to do with gold transportation charm

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Very interesting blog!!
Are You really interested in this I suggest You go and visit coral gold jewelry
Here You will find a complete directory of coral gold jewelry

James Baker said...

Congratulations Friend for your excellent blog on business life insurance!Keep up the good work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
business life insurance
I send you my warm regards and wish you continued success.
Have a nice day! :-)

Tito Maury said...

Hi Adrian, I found your post Silk Painted Poncho - my first! while doing some research on purple heart embroidered patches. I like your blog, thank you for sharing the information and keep up the good work!. I really found some useful info!
I'll be back to see if you have any posts about purple heart embroidered patches. Bye

Crazy Dan said...

Hello Adrian, thanks for sharing this info. I've been looking everywhere to find info about big hat kids embroidery designs to share with my readers at http://hat-embroidery.info-c0m.com. Your post Silk Painted Poncho - my first! is great.

matthewflynn60973454 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

jerod75abraham said...

Are you stuck in a job that is leading you on the path to no where?
We can help you obtain a College Degree with classes, books, and exams
Get a Genuine College Degree in 2 Weeks!
Well now you can get them!

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

BA, BSc, MA, MSc, MBA, PHD,

Within 2 weeks!
No Study Required!
100% Verifiable

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

These are real, genuine, They are verifiable and student records and
transcripts are also available. This little known secret has been
kept quiet for years. The opportunity exists due to a legal loophole
allowing some established colleges to award degrees at their discretion.

With all of the attention that this news has been generating, I wouldn't
be surprised to see this loophole closed very soon.

Get yours now, you will thank me later!
Call this number now (413) 208-3069
We accept calls 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

joehuron0518122051 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jandofabrics said...

HI,
Love your blog and you did a wonderful job. I work at a fabric store www.jandofabrics.com and I am in love with different uses of fabrics. I am going to give it a try. Keep your fingers crossed.

Janet